14 Oct 15 Times These Architects Stole Our Hearts By Their Sayings
With their power to think beyond the ordinary, giving the world with some iconic buildings and interiors, out of the world designs, architects like Richard Meier, Louis Kahn, Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid, and many others have become names no one is ever going to forget! And not only their works, we have learned, inspired, and motivated by their words of wisdom. We’ve prepared a list of some famous quotes by these iconic Architects which captured our hearts! Take a look:
1. “Any work of architecture that has with it some discussion, some polemic, I think is good. It shows that people are interested, people are involved.”
– Richard Meier.
2. “A great building must begin with the unmeasurable, must go through measurable means when it is being designed and in the end must be unmeasurable.”
– Louis Kahn.
3. “I feel however, that we architects have a special duty and mission… (to contribute) to the socio-cultural development of architecture and urban planning.”
– Kenzō Tange.
4. “The dialogue of architecture has been centered too long around the idea of truth.”
– Michael Graves.
5. “Architecture is a very dangerous job. If a writer makes a bad book, eh, people don’t read it. But if you make bad architecture, you impose ugliness on a place for a hundred years.”
– Renzo Piano.
6. “Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change.”
– Frank Lloyd Wright.
7. “Color in certain places has the great value of making the outlines and structural planes seem more energetic.”
– Antoni Gaudi.
8. “All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exalts, or stimulates the persons in that space.”
– Philip Johnson.
9. “Architecture is an art when one consciously or unconsciously creates aesthetic emotion in the atmosphere and when this environment produces well being.”
– Luis Ramiro Barragán Morfín.
10. “Escape from the architecture ghetto is one of the major drivers and has been from the very beginning.”
– Rem Koolhaas.
11. “Architecture starts when you carefully put two bricks together. There it begins.”
– Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
12. “My hand is the extension of the thinking process – the creative process.”
– Tadao Ando.
13. “Winning a competition in architecture is a ticket to oblivion. It’s just an idea. Ninety-nine per cent never get built.”
– Daniel Libeskind.
14. “If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all.”
– Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni.
15. “As an architect you design for the present, with an awareness of the past, for a future which is essentially unknown.”
– Norman Foster
Wasn’t that truly magnetic? And now that we have finally approached the end, do tell us which among these inspired you the most? Spread the word and inspire others around you!